Sustainable Council Program
The Sustainable Council Program provides an assessment of council’s capacity to meet the community’s future service requirements.
Through an analysis of future service levels and capital investment options, the program provides a consultative approach to determine the long-term financial sustainability of Council’s service offering.
The program establishes the building blocks for detailed community consultation and meets the statutory longer-term planning requirements under the various Local Government Acts across the nation.
The four elements of the Sustainable Council Program are:
- Service Planning
- Asset Planning
- Data and Information
- Financial Planning
The Sustainable Council Program can be offered in total or alternatively in separate elements.
Legislators (state and central governments) broadly speaking, are requiring, and mandating longer term strategic planning.
The Sustainable Council Program:
- Complies with the Victorian Local Government Act 2020 as it supports many of the longer-term strategic planning initiatives required under the Act.
- Supports mandated provisions in the New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania, and Queensland jurisdictions.
- Provides the cornerstone for community consultation and deliberative engagement.
- Ensure Council’s investment in services is achieving desired outcomes.
- Facilitate capability to make informed comparative choices between competing service demands.
- Facilitate community engagement around service priorities.
- Define levels of service, future service demand and prioritise services.
- Ensure investment in assets that support service delivery through development of Asset Plans.
- Review the governance frameworks around service, asset, and financial management.
- Provide a detailed long term financial plan to ensure the financial sustainability of ongoing service delivery and capital investment.
- Ensure compliance to statutory requirements under the auspice of the Office of the Auditor General.
With the financial sustainability of councils becoming increasingly important and challenging, more detailed planning and better direction is the solution. Contact us to get your council on the road to a sustainable future on 1300 500 932 and download our brochure below.